IT’S THAT most wonderful time of the year. The period where you begin to wonder exactly what fiendish plans you can hatch for Halloween night…
Well, wonder no more! We’ve got you covered thanks to the Kerrang! Basement Party in association with Rizla.
We’re hosting the night at at one of our favourite local haunts, The Hope & Anchor in Islington, North London, where their basement holds all of 70 people.
To kick off this inaugural Basement Party we’ve asked Employed To Serve to join us as guest DJs. The Woking metal outfit released their second offering, The Warmth Of A Dying Sun long-player in May 2017, and it was voted Kerrang!’s Album Of The Year.
Since then they’ve played endless shows, and they’ve just completed a set of rather intense Scandinavian dates. Now, though they’re getting ready to throw down the tunes next Wednesday. We asked singer Justine Jones and guitar player Sammy Urwin what we could expect from their Fright Night set.
You’re getting you’re Kerrang! Basement Party DJ set together. What’s the creepiest track you’re lining up?
Sammy Urwin: Probably a couple of numbers by that spooky bunch Type O Negative.
Justine Jones: Definitely getting some Marilyn Manson in there.
So who makes the scariest music?
Sammy and Justine: Portal and Spectral Voice. Go listen to that in the woods at night.
We presume you will be dressing up for the occasion. What or who will you be coming as?
Justine: I will be appearing as Mario, Rich [Jacobs, guitar] is coming as a hot dog, Robbie [Back, drums], is going to be Han Solo, and Sammy is undecided, watch this space…
How do you normally celebrate Halloween?
Sammy: At home on the sofa with snacks.
Justine: I borrow my young cousins and take them out trick or treating, I claim 50 per cent of their proceeds as I feel it’s a valuable lesson in business.
Who is your favourite horror film character and why?
Sammy: Michael Myers. I wish I had more spare time to dress up like him and just stand in people’s gardens and stare at them whilst breathing heavily.
Justine: Dracula, I’m a sucker for the classics.
What’s the best Halloween night you’ve ever spent?
Sammy: At home on the sofa with snacks.
Justine: I had the day off work and didn’t leave the house and watched all of the classic horror films back to back.
How will you ensure that the Kerrang! Basement Party will be better than your previous Halloween nights?
Sammy: I’m coming and bringing some snacks… as well as all the monster jams.
Justine: I get to force people to listen to music I like, which doesn’t always happen. The furthest I got was my mum liked Deftones, she found Slipknot a bit much.
And finally, Halloween tomfoolery aside, what’s next for Employed To Serve?
Sammy: We’re releasing our new album next year, so expect that and a whole lot of touring.
Justine: Yeah! Can’t wait, hopefully we get to play places we haven’t been before.
To stand a chance of winning a ticket to the Kerrang! Basement Party, simply head to our Twitter account and retweet our recent announcement. It couldn’t be easier than that.
This Halloween just got louder! @employedtoserve will DJ at the @OfficialRizlaUK x Kerrang! Basement party in Londo… https://t.co/dQzUQs9C1T— Kerrang! Magazine (@KerrangMagazine) Fri Oct 19 16:31:53 +0000 2018
And while you’re here, you may as well enjoy Employed To Serve laying waste to The K! Pit…
Terms and Conditions
The promoter is Kerrang! Wasted Talent Limited, a company registered in England and Wales with company number 4333049 with its registered office at 90 – 92 Pentonville Road, London, N1 9HS
2. The competition is open to residents of the United Kingdom aged 18 years or over except employees of Kerrang! and their close relatives and anyone otherwise connected with the organisation or judging of the competition.
3. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
4. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
5. Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are via Twitter.com
6. Only one entry will be accepted per person. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified.
7. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
8. The rules of the competition and how to enter are as follows: Retweet the Kerrang tweet to get a chance to win your invite for you and a friend
9. The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
10. The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
11. The prize is as follows:
The prize is as stated and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
12. Winners will be chosen at random
13. The winner will be notified by email and/or DM on Twitter/Facebook and/or letter within 1 day of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or do not claim the prize within 4 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
14. The promoter will notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected / is delivered.
15. The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
16. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
17. The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
18. The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material, as well as their entry. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
19. The winner’s name will be available 1 day after closing date and announced on Twitter but you can also email the following address [email protected]
20. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
In a world increasingly devoid of connection, Employed To Serve looked to rediscover humanity on their third album…
Evanescence have unleashed a trippy and at times creepy new video for their latest single, The Game Is Over.