It’s that most wonderful time of the year! And Deaf Havana are launching themselves head-first into the festive period with not one, but two big nights out.
Tonight (December 7) they hit the O2 Academy Brixton for their biggest London show to date prior to further gigs next year. And then, on Monday, December 10, frontman James Veck-Gilodi will DJ at the Kerrang! Basement Party hosted in association with Rizla+.
Our Xmas bash will be held at a venue in North London close to Kerrang! HQ, and you could win a pair of tickets and a bag full of swag for you and a friend. All you need to do is to email us at [email protected] in order to be entered into our prize draw.
So what can you expect from the same said DJ set and, indeed, the upcoming Deaf Havana’s tour? We asked James directly and here’s what he had to say…
You’re playing Brixton tonight and then DJ-ing at the Kerrang! Xmas Basement Party on Monday night. What can people expect from both of these evenings?
“Well, Brixton should be pretty good as it’s kind of my comfort zone and we have put a lot of thought into it, but Monday night will probably just be me looking all flustered trying to make songs blend into each other because I have absolutely no idea how to DJ! (laughs) Either way, it should be a laugh.”
How do you approach your DJ sets?
“I always feel a bit embarrassed because I don’t really have a clue what I’m doing, but they always end up being fun. I always tend to play more pop and hip hop than people want me to, and normally I end up getting told off! (laughs)”
What is your go-too dancefloor filler?
“Depends on the vibe of the night I guess. Any of the more upbeat 1975 songs are always good though!”
And the track that clears the floor every time?
“Ha! Ha! If we DJ at heavy music club nights I play Oasis albums in full! That normally works.”
In other news, you have a big old European and UK tour planned for early 2019. What will be different about these shows?
“Well, it will be the first full headline tour that we’ve done where we have played songs off Rituals so we can have a bit of fun with the set list. I think it’ll be pretty similar to usual though in terms of how we approach it. We always try to have fun!”
And what else can people expect from you in 2019?
“Pretty much just loads of touring, hopefully a new EP too.”
Deaf Havana play the following UK shows:
15 Cardiff Great Hall
16 Portsmouth Pyramids
17 Bristol O2 Academy
19 Nottingham Rock City
20 Hull The Welly
21 Glasgow SWG3
22 Aberdeen Unit 51
24 Middlesborough Empire
25 Manchester Albert Hall
27 Sheffield Leadmill
28 Birmingham O2 Academy
30 Belfast Limelight
31 Dublin Green Room
The band’s album, Rituals, is out now and you can buy your tickets to see them in March here.
The small print: Competition Terms And Conditions
1. The promoter is Kerrang!/Wasted Talent Limited, a company registered in England and Wales with company number 4333049 with its registered office at 90 – 92 Pentonville Road, London, N1 9HS
2. The competition is open to residents of the United Kingdom aged 18 years or over except employees of Kerrang! and their close relatives and anyone otherwise connected with the organisation or judging of the competition.
3. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
4. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
5. Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are via email: [email protected]
6. Only one entry will be accepted per person. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified.
7. Closing date for entry will be 8/12/2018 at 12pm. After this date the no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
8. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
9. The rules of the competition and how to enter are as follows: email [email protected]
10. The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice.
11. The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
12. The prize is as follows:
2X Tickets to the Rizla x Kerrang! Christmas Party
2X Goodie Bags supplied at the event
The prize is as stated and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize without giving notice.
13. Winners will be chosen at random
14. As the Rizla x Kerrang! Christmas Party is an over 18s event, winners and their guests are required to bring a valid form of photographic ID (passport or drivers licence) to the event in order to gain entry on the night. For the avoidance of doubt, any winner and/or winner’s guest who fails or refuses to show a valid form of ID will be refused entry to the event and their tickets will not be accepted.
The winner will be notified by email on the 8/12/2018. If the winner cannot be contacted or do not claim the prize within 1 day of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
15. The promoter will notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected / is delivered.
16. The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
17. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
18. The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
19. The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material, as well as their entry. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
20. The winner’s name will be available 1 day after closing date and announced on Twitter but you can also email the following address [email protected]
21. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
Deaf Havana have been announced as the second headliner for this year’s Camden Rocks festival
Watch Gojira’s Christian Andreu take a burning and keep on churning!