The Darkness’ Justin Hawkins Hospitalised With Chemical Burns After Accident
The Darkness’ Justin Hawkins has revealed that he was hospitalised after a freak accident at his home in Switzerland while he was trying to clean his swimming pool.
In a video posted on celebrity video site Cameo, the frontman said that his swimming shorts “melted” on to his legs as chemicals came out of the pool pump and he touched his shorts while trying to fix the problem.
Justin has since reportedly “made a good recovery”, though he underwent emergency surgery immediately after coming into contact with these toxic chemicals and experiencing a chemical burn.
“There was a problem with the pool, a pump thing and some chemicals came out of it,” he said. “I think it was a PH negative chemical to control the acidity of the pool.”
Justin continued: “I was trying to fix it and I touched my legs and my shorts melted onto my legs, so then I had to go to hospital.”
The Darkness leader has been back in Switzerland with his wife and daughter since lockdown, having returned to the UK at the start of the year to appear as The Chameleon on ITV series The Masked Singer – which also featured fellow rock contestant Skin from Skunk Anansie, plus the likes of CeeLo Green, Jake Shears and Nicola Roberts.
The band released their sixth album, Easter Is Cancelled, in October last year.
Everyone at Kerrang! would like to send their well wishes to Justin.