Sum 41’s Deryck Whibley discharged from hospital after being treated for pneumonia

Having been rushed to hospital fighting pneumonia, Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley has thankfully been discharged “after responding so well to his treatments”.

Sum 41’s Deryck Whibley discharged from hospital after being treated for pneumonia
Emily Carter
Jenn Five

Deryck Whibley’s wife Ariana Cooper Whibley has shared an update on the Sum 41 frontman’s health, after he was taken to the ER on Thursday night with pneumonia.

Thankfully Deryck has now been discharged from hospital, with Ariana posting that he responded “so well to his treatments”. He’s now “under the care of his mother who is a registered nurse and myself”.

Going into more details of his recovery, she added: “The pressure and strain on his heart and lungs has improved and he is able to breathe without as much pain.”

Thanking everyone for their support and well wishes, Ariana continued, “I can’t tell you how truly grateful we are for the community around us. We knew we had support but the outpouring of love for our family has been absolutely overwhelming and we can’t begin to say how much it has meant to us and helped us stay positive through this.”

A couple of days beforehand, Ariana had shared the original update that her husband was in the ER, and referenced his hospitalisation in 2014, where his liver and kidneys collapsed and Deryck was put into a medically induced coma for a week: “This is obviously not our first time in a situation like this but it brings back a lot of really difficult memories seeing him back in a hospital bed connected to wires and IVs,” Ariana wrote.

In a 2020 interview with Kerrang!, Deryck reflected on his 2014 health battle: “My liver and kidneys had failed, and you definitely need those to keep living. So I was in the hospital for about a month and I was an outpatient for another four or five months, and then it was about a year and a half, two years of recovery. I think getting out on the road was, surprisingly, what kept me healthy because I was forced to start moving around a lot more, and building my body strength back up by being onstage every night. The first thing we did out of the hospital for me was the Kerrang! Tour in 2016. I didn’t know how I was going to be on that tour. That was a real question mark for me, what my body was going to be like. After the first night I was like, ‘Let’s go, this is amazing. I’m back.’ But leading up to that was terrifying.”

Kerrang! would like to send our love to Deryck, Ariana and all their family and friends at this time.

Check out more:

Now read these

The best of Kerrang! delivered straight to your inbox three times a week. What are you waiting for?