Vote now in the Kerrang! Awards 2022
What music has dominated your past 12 months? Cast your votes in this year’s Kerrang! Awards now!
Since the pandemic hit, none of us have been able to enjoy the communal experience of live shows. In a bid to make up for that, we’re bringing live excitement to you by filming some of our favourite bands in The K! Pit in association with Nordic Spirit.
Filmed without an audience in Blondies, our favourite East London dive bar, the first of these kicks off with Higher Power with a fantastically dynamic and ferocious set that will stream on our Facebook page and YouTube channel tonight at 6pm (GMT), 1pm (EST) and 10am (PST).
The set is introduced by the band’s pal Chubby Charles, of Chubby And The Gang fame. And for the Leeds hardcore crew, playing the show in itself was a special moment that also led to a certain amount of reflection.
“After the set I got a bit emotional,” admits frontman Jimmy Wizard. “I was in the van heading home and I was looking out the window. It felt a bit like I was in a film, but I just felt that you don’t realise how much you miss things until they’re not there. It made me wonder whether things would ever be normal again after feeling so good about playing a show.”
In fact, for Higher Power 2020 should’ve been packed full of shows with a number of high-profile tours and festivals planned. But which one was Jimmy most looking forward to the most?
“The Slipknot cruise [Knotfest At Sea – originally scheduled for August, and cruising from Barcelona to Naples] without a doubt!” he enthuses. “To play anything with Slipknot would’ve been amazing for us because we grew up listening to them. Plus, this was a cruise! I mean, when are people like us ever going to get the chance to go on an actual cruise!?”
Despite the setbacks of this year, though, Jimmy is philosophical about the way the last few months have panned out.
“Everything is what you make it,” he says. “I’m lucky because I’ve used the time I’ve had to set up my tattoo business with my friend. We’ve got a shop together and I would never been able to do that if we’d been on tour. I’ve also got to spend lots of time with my dog, Harley, and to reflect on things in general so I feel quite blessed.”
Jimmy’s tattoo work can be seen on Instagram, but he’s also been busy writing new music. Indeed, the band have already begun to plot the follow-up to their acclaimed second album, 27 Miles Underwater.
“We have a new practice space so we can write more. The music probably sounds a bit heavier than the last album, but we really want to take the music everywhere. We don’t know exactly where we’re going, but we want to go further in every sense,” he says. “We want to work with different, heavier producers like Ross Robinson or Machine. We want to know what working with something like that would pull out of us.”
Like all of us, Jimmy remains unsure about quickly the world will reset itself. “You just have to enjoy the things you can right now,” he concludes. One of those things is indeed the band’s K! Pit set. Since we couldn’t invite anyone to come to the actual show, Higher Power will be joining us on Facebook to hangout with you as we stream their set. Feel free to join the conversation.
In addition to this, you also get the chance to win one of 20 exclusive posters created for the set, all of which were signed by the band. But that’s not all, thanks to Nordic Spirit – the UK’s No 1 Nicotine Pouch* you get the opportunity to win a rucksack full of swag! Inside the said bag you’ll find a K! Pit hoodie, a beanie hat, a mug, a wireless phone charger and headphones – the kind of kit that you’d need for a festival perhaps? Well, funny you should mention that…
Nordic Spirit are also partnering with Download Festival. That means that during the course of the next five weeks, one person will get the chance to win a ‘golden ticket’ to attend Download in 2021. What does that ‘golden ticket’ do? It will allow you and three friends to enjoy VIP access to the festival – camping included!
To enter the competition, you need to answer the following question: What is the title of the first single taken from Higher Power’s latest album, 27 Miles Underwater?
Know the answer? Then enter the competition right here!
20 lucky people will receive the exclusive signed poster and bag of K! Pit branded merch and Nordic Spirit goodies, and one of you will get a chance to get yer hands on those four Download VIP tickets. Oh, and be sure to check out Higher Power’s latest album here.
Nordic Spirit is a 100% tobacco-free nicotine pouch perfect for when smoking or vaping is not possible. You must be over 18 to enter this competition. Nordic Spirit products contain nicotine. Nicotine is an addictive substance.
Existing adult nicotine users can log on to nordicspirit.co.uk to claim a free sample.
*IRi Market Place, volume Share, Nicotine Pouch Category, Total UK, YTD to w/e 04/10/2020 - For more information or to verify contact nordicspirit.co.uk/contact
Terms and conditions:
1. The Nordic Spirit X K! Pit Prize Draw (the “Prize Draw”) is open to people:
a. aged 18 and over
b. residents of the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man
2. The Prize Draw is not open to employees of the Company and their families, the Company’s agencies or their employees and families or anyone else professionally associated with the Prize Draw.
3. To enter the Prize Draw, entrants must answer the question posed on this page.
4. The Prize Draw is open from November 20. The winners will be chosen at random and will be contacted by email by Dec 21.
5. By entering this promotion, entrants confirm that they have read and agree to be bound by these terms and conditions and by the decisions of the Company, which are final in all matters relating to the promotion. Failure to do so will result in the forfeiture of the prize. No correspondence will be entered into. The Company or its agencies accept no responsibility for any loss, injury or damage suffered through acceptance of the prize. The Company reserves the right to refuse entry or refuse to award the prize to anyone in breach of these terms and conditions.
6. The Company or its agencies will not be responsible for the non-inclusion of entries as a result of technical failures or otherwise, including any such failure which is within the control of the Company or its agencies. Proof of submission of entry is not proof of receipt of entry.
8. There will be 20 winners selected, who will each win the following prize: A signed poster and K! Pit rucksack containing a hoody, beanie, wireless phone charger, product giftbox (for those qualified), rucksack, mug, headphones.
9. One additional ‘golden ticket’ prize will be offered at random across all K! Pit competitions which will run until Dec 20. This will consist of VIP access to the Download festival for one competition winner + three friends, and will include camping.
10. The winner of the golden ticket will be chosen at random and will be notified in written form when the posters and rucksacks are mailed out.
11. In the event of the festival being cancelled, no alternative prize will be offered.
12. Only one entry per competition per person (note: each stream will be accompanied by a new competition which can be entered into on each occasion). Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties.
13. Lost or stolen Prizes cannot be refunded or exchanged.
14. The Prizes are as stated and subject to availability. There are no other prize alternatives available, except the Company reserves the right to substitute the Prize with a similar prize of equal or greater value if circumstances beyond the Company's control makes it necessary to do so. The Prize is non-transferable and will only be issued in the name of the winning participant(s).
15. The prizes will be posted by Kerrang! to the winners at the address supplied by them on the entry form within a reasonable time following the announcement of the winners.
16. By entering the Prize Draw, participants acknowledge that the Company, and any agencies acting on its behalf, will process the personal data submitted by the participants (such as name, address, email address and telephone numbers) for the purpose of running this promotion; including displaying their name on scoreboards, administering the prizes and publicising the winner’s name. Except as described, any personal data provided will not be disclosed to any third parties or transferred outside the EU.
17. Under no circumstances will the Company (or its parent subsidiaries or affiliated companies) be liable (unless such liability cannot be lawfully excluded) for any losses, damages, costs or expenses arising from or in any way connected with the promotion or any prize connected with the promotion.
18. The Company reserves the right to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process.
19. The Company reserves the right to cancel, amend, terminate, temporarily suspend or withdraw this Prize Draw promotion in the event of unforeseen circumstances outside its reasonable control at any time. In such circumstances the Company shall have no liability to any participant.
20. The Company cannot accept any responsibility for prize warranties and guarantees. The winner must refer directly to the manufacturer in the case of any faulty goods.
21. The decision of the Company is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
22. Company: Gallaher Limited, Members Hill, Brooklands Road, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 OQU.
What music has dominated your past 12 months? Cast your votes in this year’s Kerrang! Awards now!
Want some new music? Jimmy Wizard from Leeds hardcore outfit Higher Power has Koyo, Narrow Head, Pest Control and more for you…
Fourth time’s the charm for Neck Deep as they finally roll their All Distortions Are Intentional tour into Glasgow…
In support of their new album This World Is Going To Ruin You, Vein.fm will hit the road with Higher Power and Drain this summer.
Three of the UK’s best young bands – Boston Manor, Trash Boat and Higher Power – are crossing the pond this spring…
Wargasm will be replacing nothing,nowhere. on Neck Deep’s UK tour, which is now taking place in February…
Neck Deep’s long-awaited All Distortions Are Intentional run has been pushed back yet again due to the surge of coronavirus, “coupled with the ongoing restrictions in Ireland and Scotland”.